Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Zipper Passport Wallet

I found this http://www.elainescrafts.com/sewing/zippered-passport-wallet-sewing-tutorial/

Zippered passport wallet
SEP 15, 2013 BY     1 COMMENT     POSTED UNDER: SEWING
I have been wanting to make another zippered wallet that will hold my passport and over sized visa ID for ages now. I was using a simple zippered pouch but it was a bit too large. I also have a few passport wallets that fold in half but I would rather use one that is zippered up to not lose anything. Plus I wanted separate pockets for change, cards, IDs and cash. Before, I was digging around the pouch trying to pick coins out from in between the IDs and cash which was a pain.
I got the inspiration after seeing this Three Ring Binder Pencil Case. I love the fabrics that were used and decided that it would make a perfect wallet. I used the great tutorial but shrank the size and added a divider inside the wallet for cards and then used bias binding to finish the wallet. I love the way it turned out! The tutorial for the binder was set up perfectly so I am basing this off of that then adding the changed/added parts. If you need help beyond my pictures, the original tutorial also has great shots!
passport-wallet-tutorial-1
To create the wallet you will need the following supplies:
  • 2 zippers cut to 6.25″ (I only had invisible zippers but you can use regular ones)
Outer Fabric:
  • 1 – 6.5″ x 3″ = front bottom below zip
  • 1 – 6.5″ x 2″ = front top above zip
  • 1 – 6.5″ x 4.5″ = back
  • 8 – 1″ x 2″ = zip ends
  • 1 – 1 5/8″ x 19″ = bias tape (double folded)
Lining Fabric: (I used the same as the outer)
  • 1 – 6.5″ x 6.5″ = front pouch lining
  • 2 – 6.5″ x 4.5″ = main pouch lining
Inside Credit Card Pocket/Divider: (I used the same as the outer)
  • 1 – 6.5″ x 7.5″ = divider
  • 2 – 6.5″ x 5.5″ = card slots
Interfacing: (original tutorial used fusible fleece but I can’t get anything similar to that or interfacing where I live so I used canvas)
  • 1 – 6.5″ x 3″ = front bottom
  • 1 – 6.5″ x 2″ = front top
  • 1 – 6.5″ x 4.5″ = back
  • 1 – 6.5″ x 3.75″ = inside divider pocket
* I used 1/4″ seam allowances throughout except for basting where I used 1/8″.
Instructions:
Leaving zipper open a bit, sandwich ends between 2 pieces of zip end fabric with both fabric pieces facing the right sides towards the zipper. Sew a 1/4″ seam. Trim the zipper ends to 1/8″. Fold the ends out then press.
passport-wallet-tutorial-2
Connect your front bottom, front top and back interfacing pieces (per package instructions) to their corresponding outer fabric pieces. I basted the canvas pieces to my fabrics using a 1/8″ seam.
passport-wallet-tutorial-3
Place a zipper, face side down, on the right side of the front bottom piece. Place the front pouch lining, right side down, on top of the zipper. Line up the edges, pin then sew in place using a zipper foot.
passport-wallet-tutorial-4     passport-wallet-tutorial-5
Turn the zipper right side out and press. The lining and front bottom piece should both be turned down. Top stitch along the zipper.
passport-wallet-tutorial-6
Place the top front piece, right side down, on the zipper.
passport-wallet-tutorial-7
Flip the whole thing over and fold up the lining so the bottom edge lines up with the top edge of the zipper. Pin in place then sew along the zipper with the zipper foot.
passport-wallet-tutorial-8     passport-wallet-tutorial-9
Flip the top front up then top stitch along the zipper. The lining will now be encased for the coin purse of the wallet. Cut off the zipper tab ends.
passport-wallet-tutorial-10     passport-wallet-tutorial-11
Now take your second zipper and place it on top of the front piece facing down. Lay one of the lining pieces on top facing down toward the zipper then sew in place.
passport-wallet-tutorial-13     passport-wallet-tutorial-14
Turn the zipper right side out with the lining and front top piece folded down. Press.
passport-wallet-tutorial-15     passport-wallet-tutorial-16
Top stitch along the zipper and cut off the zipper end tabs.
passport-wallet-tutorial-17
Lay out your last main pouch lining piece facing up then place the zipper on top also facing up. Next add the back piece facing down towards the zipper. Sew along the top of the zipper.
passport-wallet-tutorial-18     passport-wallet-tutorial-19
Fold open the seam and press. Then top stitch along the zipper. This is how the front and back should now look.
passport-wallet-tutorial-29     passport-wallet-tutorial-21
Take your inside divider and card slot pieces, fold them in half then press. Insert the divider piece of the interfacing/canvas inside the divider piece and baste in place along the three open sides. Then top stitch along the folded edge.
passport-wallet-tutorial-22     passport-wallet-tutorial-23
Now take your 2 pressed card slot pieces and pin one to each side of the divider piece. Baste in place.
passport-wallet-tutorial-24     passport-wallet-tutorial-25
Mark the half way point of the card slots and top stitch them in place. That way each side will hold two cards.
passport-wallet-tutorial-26     passport-wallet-tutorial-27
Pin the divider piece onto one side of a lining piece with right side up making sure to only attach it to the lining and baste in place.
passport-wallet-tutorial-28
The original tutorial finished off the binder by turning it inside out after sewing the openings shut but since mine is thicker due to the canvas, I finished off the edges with bias binding. I pressed my bias tape into a double fold before attaching it with a 1/4″ seam. I attached my bias using this method.
passport-wallet-tutorial-31
I am so happy with the finished wallet! I wanted it to fit nicely around my passport without being too large. It also fits my huge EU ID and Euro cash perfectly. Dollars have to be folded in half though because they are strangely long:)
passport-wallet-tutorial-33     passport-wallet-tutorial-32

No comments:

Post a Comment