Monday, April 15, 2024

Butter Mints

 I love butter mints.  Loved having them when I was a kid at Grandma Grennan's.  I never thought to make them until I saw this facebook reel. So I looked it up online and found this link for reference and it was the same as the facebook reel.

https://www.saltysidedish.com/homemade-butter-mints/

This make 3.5c of mints.  I think I would half the recipe for my first try.

Ingredients
- 1/2c butter (softened)
- 4c powdered sugar
- 1T half and half
- 1t of vanilla
- 1/4t peppermint oil or 1t of peppermint extract (add butter extract??)
- dash of salt.  I wanted if you still need salt if you use salted butter.
- food coloring if wanted. (beet powder for pink and turmeric for yellow??)

Instructions
-Add butter to a stand mixer and beat well until smooth.

-Add sugar, half and half, vanilla, peppermint, and salt. Beat on low until dry and crumbly.

-Half and Half NOTE: Powdered sugar doesn't always measure the same person to person, depending on how its packed. You may need to add a tiny bit more of half and half to get to this point if it absorbs too quickly. Just only use a very small amount so you do not over wet your dough. 

-Add 2 drops yellow food coloring and increase speed to high and beat until smooth and a dough forms.

-Sprinkle powdered sugar onto a flat surface.

-Work with a small palm-sized amount of dough. Cover remaining dough with a damp paper towel so it does not dry while prepping mints. On a powder sugar dusted surface, roll the mint dough into a long snake shape about 1/2" thick. Use a sharp knife to cut the mints into mini shapes that are bite sized. Transfer butter mints to a baking sheet to dry overnight.

-Store butter mints in an airtight container.



No comments:

Post a Comment