Thursday, September 11, 2014

Quilling with Toilet Paper Rolls

I found this on http://suzyssitcom.com/2011/09/feature-friday-faux-brass-wall-clock.html



recycled toilet paper tubes faux brass wall clock

 Materials:
- inexpensive plastic clock. Could be cool to go around a mirror also.
-30 toilet paper rolls
-cereal box
-hot glue
-antique brass metallic spray paint
-one sheet of scrap book paper
-number decals

Begin by removing the plastic cover from the clock face and cutitng up toilet paper roles.  I cut them lengthwise to open them up and cut them into ~1/4" strips.  For this project, I did not measure them for exact width because I wanted a variety of depth and texture.

 recycled toilet paper tubes faux brass wall clock2
 I wanted larger curls, so I hot glued 2 strips together before I made each curel.  I then curled them around a wooden dowel to create the curls and glued them to the sides of the clock.


recycled toilet paper tubes faux brass wall clock4Keep adding sprails to get the shape you want.

recycled toilet paper tubes faux brass wall clock6Added layers around the clock for  more depth.

 recycled toilet paper tubes faux brass wall clock7 For the lager curels I used strips cut from the cereal box.  Now it is ready for painting, I removed the clock hands and the paper that covered the face of the clock.

recycled toilet paper tubes faux brass wall clock8
It took nearly 2 can of pain for this project.  My finished clock is 3.5' in diameter and has tons of nooks and crannies that needed covered.

Note if you take it outside to pain and it is hot the hot glue could melt and you you might be reglue it back together.

Next use the scrap book paper for the backing of the clock.  Used decal numbers.  Replace the hands.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment